Friday 17 September 2010

Monsters



I saw this by chance at the Cambridge Film Festival last night. After the film I heard a lot of interesting comparisons; lost in translation with extra terrestrials, Close Encounters of the Third Kind for starters. Personally I felt it was to Cloverfield what Contact was to Independence Day; a quietly paced, thought-provoking film, far from the action-horror which the trailer portrays.

I'd actually strongly suggest not watching the trailer or reading reviews as spoilers abound, just watch it for yourself. It'll divide opinion as a film, but it shows just what can me achieved on a limited budget with a little imagination. There's a sense of atmosphere and spectacle to this that transcends a lot of recent flashy blockbuster set pieces. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment